Related MCH Library Resources
- Autism Speaks: School Community Tool Kit. Information to help members of
the school community understand
and support students with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Autism Speaks facilitates autism research, awareness, advocacy, and family services.
- Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) Database. Information about journal articles, research reports, teaching guides, curricula,
conference papers, and books covering all aspects of education-related issues.
To identify resources about ASD, click on Advanced Search. In the field,
Search for, select Descriptors (from Thesaurus) and
type "Pervasive Developmental Disorders". To limit your search, add descriptors using the ERIC
Thesaurus and/or select a publication date range. Click on Search
to get your results. ERIC is sponsored
by the Department
of Education (ED).
Dissemination Center for Children
with Disabilities (NICHCY): Especially for Schools
and Administrators. A wealth of resources about disabilities and disability-related issues,
such as early
education and related services,
individualized education programs, student behavior, effective instruction,
and transition planning. The State
Organization database presents contact information for state agencies
and organizations, disability-specific
organizations, parent groups and
parent training and information
centers, and other organizations
within each state that address
disability-related issues. Some materials
are available in Spanish.
NICHCY is funded by the Department
of Education (ED).
- National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (NECTAC): Autism Spectrum
Disorders (ASD). A collection of resources for implementing the early childhood provisions
of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to improve service
systems and outcomes for children with ASD. Topics include
early identification, prevalence, elements of effective programs, preparation
of personnel, and family support. Also presents contact information
the early childhood provisions
of IDEA and for Department of Education-funded early childhood projects. NECTAC is supported by the Department of Education (ED).
- Organization for Autism Research (OAR): Educators and Service Providers. Strategies for including a child with ASD in a classroom and worksheets to assist with classroom planning. OAR is a national nonprofit organization focused on applied research into the challenges of living with autism.
- Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
(PBIS). Planning, implementation, and evaluation tools for identifying, adapting, and sustaining effective school-wide disciplinary practices; video clips, training tools, and presentation materials; and a review of the evidence base for PBIS. Includes contact information for state PBIS coordinators. Resources are available in Spanish. The center was established by the Department of Education (ED).
- Families for Early
Autism Treatment (FEAT). 2008. Handbook
for Teachers of Students with
Autism Spectrum Disorder. Sacramento,
CA: Families for Early Autism Treatment
(FEAT). This booklet is designed
for a parent or caregiver of a child
with ASD to fill out and provide
personalized information to the child's teacher that
would be helpful for the teacher to know.
This booklet is also available
Committee on Educational Interventions
for Children with Autism. 2001. Educating
Children with Autism.
Washington, DC: National
This book outlines an interdisciplinary
approach to education for children
with autism. The committee explores
what makes education effective for
children with autism and identifies
specific characteristics of programs
Related MCH Library Resources
- Autism Spectrum Disorders knowledge path (Includes sections about environmental health research, concerns about vaccines, and inappropriate use of seclusion and restraints), family resource brief
- Bullying resource brief
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families knowledge path
- Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Challenges in Children and Adolescents knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Health Insurance and Access to Care for Children and Adolescents knowledge path, family resource brief
- School-Based and School-Linked Health Care school resource brief
- School Health resource brief
- Screening resource brief
Autism Spectrum Disorders: School Resource Brief. (June 2011). (Updated: January 2013).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Library.
Reviewer: Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.