Related MCH Library Resources
- Center for Health and Health Care in Schools (CHHCS). A collection of resources about school-based health services, including background
papers, tools for clinic operations and management, papers on financing
issues, model state and local health policies and program information,
and bibliographies. Includes sections about school-based mental health and
oral health services. CHHCS is a policy and program resource center located at the George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): School Health. Information about school health policies and programs and tools for planning and coordinating school health activities, including health services. Resources include
School Health Index (SHI). Self-assessment and planning guide to help schools
identify the strengths and weaknesses of their school-health-promotion policies
and programs; develop an action plan for improving student health; and involve
teachers, parents, students, and the community in improving school policies,
programs, and services.
- Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) Database. Information about journal articles, research reports, teaching guides, curricula,
conference papers, and books covering all aspects of education-related issues.
To identify resources on the topic, click on Advanced Search. In the field,
Search for, select Descriptors (from Thesaurus) and enter "school health services". To limit your search, add descriptors using the ERIC
Thesaurus and/or select a publication date range. Click on Search
to get your results. ERIC is sponsored
by the Department
of Education (ED).
- National Assembly on School-Based Health Care (NASBHC). Program information, tools, and resources for implementing, evaluating, and
improving school-based health care. Includes background
information about school-based health care; state standards; materials on advocacy,
policy, and financing; training webinars; and contact
information for state affiliates.
- National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE): State School Health Policy Database. A collection of state laws and policies in key areas of school health. In the left sidebar, click on Student Services and choose a topic (e.g., Screening for Health Conditions, Administration of Medications).
Related MCH Library Resources
- Health Insurance and Access to Care for Children and Adolescents knowledge path (Includes sections about health reform and outreach and enrollment), family resource brief
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families knowledge path
- Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT) Services in Medicaid knowledge path, family resource brief
- Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Challenges in Children and Adolescents knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health knowledge path, family resource brief
- School Health resource brief
School-Based and School-Linked Health Care: School Resource Brief. (June 2011). (Updated: January 2013).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Library.
Reviewer: Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.