Related MCH Library Resources
- Center for Health and Health Care in Schools (CHHCS): School-Based Mental Health. Program descriptions and background information about school-based mental health services, including programs that serve the children of immigrants and refugees. CHHCS is a policy and program resource center located at the George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services.
for Mental Health in Schools: School
Mental Health Project (SMHP). A wealth of resources about mental health
and psychosocial concerns in schools, including resource
guides on over 130 mental health topics, policy and
program reports, electronic
training tutorials, presentation materials, and
program and conference information. The
center is located at the University
of California, Los Angeles.
- Center for School Mental Health (CSMH). Program and conference information,
legislative updates, issue briefs,
resource packets, and other materials
about promising ideas for advancing
research, training, and practice
in school mental health. Resources address a wide
range of school mental health topics, including systems of care, child
maltreatment, telemental health, crisis intervention, foster care,
mental health parity, bullying, and suicide prevention. CSMHA is located at
the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Also see SchoolMentalHealth.org for resources and tools to enhance mental health promotion, prevention, treatment, and referral in schools.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Healthy Youth! Mental Health. Information about school health policies and programs, data and statistics, and publications by CDC and other organizations about school health programs that address mental health. Resources include
School Health Index (SHI). Self-assessment and planning guide to help schools
identify the strengths and weaknesses of their school-health-promotion policies
and programs; develop an action plan for improving student health; and involve
teachers, parents, students, and the community in improving school policies,
programs, and services. Covers counseling, psychological, and social services.
- Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) Database. Information about journal articles, research reports, teaching guides, curricula,
conference papers, and books covering all aspects of education-related issues. Enter "mental health" (or the name of the condition) in the search box. Click on Search. Use the filters in the left navigation bar to further limit your search. ERIC is sponsored
by the Department
of Education (ED).
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): Child and Adolescent Action Center:
Schools and Education. Information about a 2-hour in-service program to help school professionals
identify the early warning signs of mental illnesses in children
and adolescents in schools. Includes recommendations, articles, and other resources
about ways for school professionals and families to work together to address
mental health challenges.
- National Assembly on School-Based Health Care (NASBHC): Mental Health. Program information, tools,
and resources for implementing,
evaluating, and improving school-based
mental health services. Includes
links to comprehensive mental-health-assessment
tools frequently used in school-based
health centers. NASBHC also offers
background information about school-based
health care along with resources
for advocacy, funding, evaluation,
and quality improvement.
- National Center for Mental Health Promotion and Youth Violence Prevention. Program information, webinars, research briefs, evidence-based intervention fact sheets, and other resources. The center provides technical assistance and training to school districts and communities as they plan, implement, and sustain federally funded initiatives to foster resilience, promote mental health, and prevent adolescent violence and mental health and behavioral challenges.
- National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth (NCWD/Youth): Mental Health Needs. Information and publications about the employment challenges often faced by adolescents with mental health needs who are transitioning into young adulthood and strategies to help them with the transition. NCWD/Youth is based at the Institute for Educational Leadership.
Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral
and Supports (PBIS). Planning, implementation,
and evaluation tools for identifying,
adapting, and sustaining effective
school-wide disciplinary practices; video clips, training tools, and presentation materials; and a review of the evidence base for PBIS. Includes contact information
for state PBIS coordinators. Resources
are available in Spanish. The center
was established by the Department
of Education (ED).
- Think:Kids. Rethinking Challenging Kids. Information about and resources to support this evidence-based approach for
helping children with social, emotional, and behavioral challenges in school. Resources include
an assessment tool, implementation guide, online discussion forums, a blog, training
and podcasts. Think:Kids is a program in the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Related MCH Library Resources
- Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Challenges in Children and Adolescents knowledge path. (Includes sections about early childhood, inappropriate use of seclusion and
restraints, juvenile justice, military families, and parental depression and other
mental health concerns), family resource brief
- Adolescent Violence Prevention knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Autism Spectrum Disorder knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Bullying resource brief
- Child Maltreatment resource brief
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families knowledge path
- Domestic Violence knowledge path, family resource brief
- Health Insurance and Access to Care for Children and Adolescents knowledge path, family resource brief
- Medications resource brief
- Reaching Out to Children and Youth Following Disasters resource brief
- School-Based and School-Linked Health Care school resource brief
- School Health resource brief
- Screening resource brief
- Suicide Prevention resource brief
- Tobacco, Alcohol, and Substance Use in Children and Adolescents resource brief
Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Challenges:
School Resource Brief. (July 2011). (Updated: July 2014).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Library.
Reviewers: Lauren Agoratus, M.A., Family Voices and Family-to-Family Health Information Resource Center at the Statewide Parent Advocacy Network of N.J.; Olivia Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library; Judi Siegel, L.I.C.S.W., Children's Hospital Boston; Sandy Swan, M.L.S., M.P.H., C.H.I.S., Phil Johnson Historic Archives and Research Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.