- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Home Food Safety. Tips, teaching tools, and Spanish-language materials about foodborne-illness
and safe food handling at home.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Food Safety. Information about foodborne illness prevention and investigation for health
professionals and consumers. Includes fact sheets, advertisements, and social
media tools about food safety.
- Council to Improve Foodborne Outbreak Response (CIFOR): Food Safety Clearinghouse. Case studies, evaluations, fact sheets, issue briefs, professional-education resources, consumer-education materials, and other food safety resources
developed by state and local health departments, laboratories, academic
institutions, non-governmental organizations, and governmental agencies.
- Environmental Working Group (EWG). Information, testimony, news, and other resources about pesticides in fruits
and vegetables, toxins in seafood, and industrial chemicals in foods and
- Food and
Drug Administration (FDA): Food. Product-specific safety information about seafood, fruits, vegetables, milk,
canned foods, and infant formula. Information about food recalls, food allergens,
foodborne illness, food contaminants and adulteration, microbiological safety
of foods, and retail food protection.
- Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). Food-safety-education materials; information about research, recalls, defense against microbiological agents, and international food standards; and regulations and policies to ensure that meat,
poultry, and processed egg products are safe, wholesome, and accurately
- FoodSafety.gov. Food safety information in English and Spanish from federal agencies. Includes
food safety alerts and recalls, steps for keeping food safe, facts about food
poisoning, and an ask-the-experts service for questions about food safety. Also presents EdNet: The National Food Safety Educator's Network, a monthly electronic news journal about food safety and nutrition
programs, activities, and resources for educators, consumer advocates, government officials,
and industry representatives.
- Food Safety Research Information Office (FSRIO). Food-safety-research information. Includes a research projects database, and education and training materials database, and citations for journal articles and reports. Topics include pathogens and contaminants, sanitation and quality standards, emergency preparedness and management, food preparation and handling, and food processing and technology.
Related MCH Library Resources
Food Safety: Resource Brief. (September 2012). (Updated: December 2014).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Library.
Reviewers: Arissa K. Anderson, M.P.H. and R.D. candidate, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; Stephanie Loup, M.P.H. and R.D. candidate, University of Minnesota; Shree Mohanty, M.A., M.S., R.D., L.D., Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Region V; Olivia Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library; Bridget L. Wardley, M.S., R.D., C.S.P., New York University Steinhardt.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.