Here you will find links to resources for "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning" (LGBTQ) youth, their families, and their friends.
The MCH Library uses the term LGBTQ inclusively and with respect; Descriptions of materials use the specific terminology found in the material. For a summary of definitions and word usage, see the Wikipedia entry on LGBT.
Hotline and Support Services
- The Trevor Project. Provides crisis-intervention and suicide-prevention services to LGBTQ youth.
Websites for Youth
Websites for Parents and Caregivers
- Advocates for Youth: GLBTQ Issues Info for Parents. Tips for parents of LGBTQ youth including resources on talking about sex, sexuality, and values and the characteristics of parents of sexually healthy children.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG). Resources, events, and local chapter support groups. The Families of Color Network focuses on diverse communities including African-American, Asian-American, Eastern European, Latino, Muslim/Arab-American, and Native-American communities.
- StopBullying.gov: Bullying and LGBT Youth. Strategies to prevent and address bullying of LGBTQ youth. Topics include creating a safe environment for LGBT youth, federal civil rights laws and sexual orientation, and additional resources.
- Supporting your LGBTQ Youth: A Guide for Foster Parents. Helps foster parents learn about LGBTQ youth in the child welfare system, the unique risks they face, and the important role that foster parents can play in reducing those risks.
Electronic Documents for Parents and Families
Find more LGBTQ resources in our LGBTQ professional resource brief and our LGBTQ school resource brief.
Learn more about adolescent health, bullying, social and emotional development in children and adolescents, sexuality education, and suicide prevention.
Need more information? Use the collection of resources that library staff have put together for you and your family.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Youth: Resources for Families. (October 2012).
Author: John Richards, M.A., MCH Library.
Reviewers: Jolene Bertness, M.Ed., Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., Olivia Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.